Sunday, August 26, 2012

Hoops For Hopes

As I sit here resting my aching out of "full court basketball" shape body, I am still smiling at what a great event it was. This was our 2nd annual Hoops For Hopes Event and what a difference a year makes! Apparently we have even already secured Maple Leaf Gardens for next years event. Before I go any further I wanted to thank everyone who came out to support us, all the volunteers, all the organizers, all the sponsors, all the media, and anyone I'm forgetting, thank you too. This event is double special for me because not only am I friends with the organizers of the event but I am also the Spokesperson for Youth Assisting Youth, www.yay.org, who were the main benefactors.

Youth Assisting Youth and the Peer Project are wonderful initiatives which specifically focus on mentoring youth. They have a success rate over 95% with the 30,000 plus youth they have worked with over the past 30 years and it's an honour to be associated with them. I implore you to have a look at their website and see if there is a way you can help! Special mention to my man Andre, you did a great job!!

This year the Hoops for Hopes executive committee, made up of several of my friends and associates, plans on introducing 3 programs throughout the G.T.A. come December.

Books and Basketball, Hoops and Homework, and Shoot Hoops not Guns. The first program is for elementary school aged children, the second is for High School students, and the third program is specifically designed to benefit at-risk youth on a one to one basis.

We need to do more as a community to help support programs and initiatives such as these if we are to actually make a difference with todays youth.

Special thanks to Mark Strong (host of the Raptors & Argos) for once again coming out and supporting us. I also wanted to thank all the support from Ryerson University's Men's Basketball team, Jana from JogawithJana.com, Tamara and Alisha Tatham from the 2012 Canadian Women's Olympic Basketball Team, D.J. Starting from Scratch, Akil Augustine, Ray Robinson, Devo Brown, and so many more amazing people!!

Hope to see you all at Hoops for Hopes 3!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment