Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Long Weekend

As the hangover of our first summer long weekend slowly dissipates, I wanted to share some of the overwhelming moments I was fortunate enough to be a part of.  My growing friend and business Partner Lowell invited me to a gala event that was being held in order to celebrate the memory and life of his incredible mother Sherona Hall.  Here was a woman who clearly defined her life's purpose as helping others.  She prided herself on being a voice for those without one, and she faught for strangers as if they were cut from her own cloth.  Through the Shesheme Foundation Sherona tirelessly contributed to the betterment of society and its inhabitants.  What an amazing feeling it was to see all these people take time out of their own long weekends to celebrate an incredible woman who taught us all what living should truly mean.  There was incredible musical performances, great food, and awesome company.  While Lowell was giving a moving acceptance speech on behalf of his mother he made a point that I feel needs repeating as it has resonated for me ever since.  He said, "Many of us think about being good people, helping others, and contributing to our community and world, and we are very good at thinking these things while we sit on our couch, and even I myself am guilty of this, so I say why don't we actually make an effort, and donate an hour of our time in order to help others, it all starts from within, and I'm starting with me!"  I love it Lowell, and as Michael Jackson said, "I'm starting with the man in the mirror", ME!!

No comments:

Post a Comment