Monday, May 9, 2011

Final Excerpt from my upcoming book

This specific section is from pages 99-102

“Knock, knock”, there it is, the sound I had been waiting for so I could go back to my movie and dinner.  As I go to open the door, 3 guys come busting in with guns and Nimo, whose face has been smashed up!  “Get to the ground and stare at the wall”, one of the guys shouts while pointing a gun at my face.  I obviously complied instantly, while managing to avoid shitting myself!!  In the next few moments I sat there contemplating death.  I figured there was no reason to leave me alive.  All I could think of was my mother, and nothing else!  Two of the guys I recognized from a nightclub outing with Matthew, I remember Matthew telling me they were the “higher ups” in his drug ring, and I knew they were aware of that too.  They were obviously willing to kill Nemo, as I could hear them threatening him.  They were also continuously hitting him in the face with their guns.  Then they took bleach powder and rubbed it all over his face and in his mouth.  One of them kept shouting, “where is my @$#$ money, I want my money back”!  The last part I witnessed was them smashing his shoulder and arm with a bat, and trust me, you never want to listen to the sound of bones smashing under that kind of force.  As the sound of sirens approached, the intruders needed a way out of the building.  I had a plan, and I figured it was the only way they’d let me live.  I told them we will all go to my car, they can put Nimo in my trunk, and I’d bring my dog with to make it look like we were going to the “Dog Park”, which happened to be very close by, and very popular.  I felt a little awkward, and I was very scared, but I figure, especially with my past, that Nimo obviously stole from these guys, and I knew Nimo was a low life; I surely was not prepared to die or go to jail, for that guy.  We made it down to the underground parking unnoticed and we got into my car as planned.  As we made our way to the garage exit, an Officer stopped me.  I calmly explained me and my buddies were going to grab a bite to eat and take my dog to the park.  With little hesitation he stepped aside and off we went.  Around 2 blocks later I made a turn and the guy next to me said, “This is good, stop right here and pop the trunk”!  I did exactly as they said, and when they were leaving they said, “We hope to never see you again, under these circumstances”!  They took Nimo and walked in one direction, I drove off in the other.  Eventually I went back home, where I was greeted by blood in more than enough places, the bleach powder all over the kitchen, and my dinner was ruined!  I sat on the couch lit a cigarette and thanked my lucky stars that I was still alive.  It seemed like forever when I was sitting in the corner of my apartment, hoping I wouldn’t get killed.  I really just tried to focus on my mother’s face, and I continuously told myself that I hadn’t accomplished any of the things I wanted to accomplish in this life, so it can’t be time for me to die!!  I didn’t even finish my cigarette when the all too familiar knocking of an Officer startled me.  “Whack, Whack, Whack” on the door, like they are trying to break it down, or at the very least get everyone’s attention!  Two detectives stood in the entranceway and one asked me if my name was Joshua. He then proceeded to ask me if they could come in, as they had all but let themselves in already regardless of what I was going to say!    As the 2 detectives showed me their badges and started talking, it felt a lot more like an interrogation then a victim making his statement to the Police, but that was nothing new for me.  At the end of me telling them what happened, they told me I’d be hearing from them again, and if they caught the criminals responsible, I would be testifying in court.  When they asked me the all important question, if I knew any of the criminals who entered my home earlier that night, I said no!  They walked out and informed me the rest of their team would be collecting evidence for the next few hours.  I sat on my balcony for the majority of the evening smoking and contemplating the many outcomes that I was sure to face as things continued to unfold, and why I was so fortunate to have been spared thus far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment