Friday, July 20, 2012

Scarborough Shootings

I typically try my best to post a new blog once per week, but every now and again I feel extremely moved and I have to find the time to post something extra. The events of the last few days in Toronto definitely have me in that frame of mind!

For those of you who are unaware, and I hope that's a minuscule number, there was a horrific and tragic event that took place on Monday evening July 16. What was supposed to be a local BBQ for youngsters with goodie bags, food, and water ballon's quickly became an out of control block party. Apparently do to the wonderful social outreach of Facebook & Twitter, somehow the birthday bbq became a "Free Hennessey Cognac" party. A few of the actual tweets were:

   "The Hennessy BlockO's today, you coming??? (Posted by Tamica Molson at 12:50pm Monday)

   "#HennessyBlockParty ahhhh let's go, everybody come out!!! (Posted by Justin Bieber..XOX at 9:30pm)

   "Momma niced me a hole bottle of henny" (Posted by Elijah Talber at 10:43pm, moments before the shootings began)

All of these twitter messages were found in a Toronto Star article by Jenni Dunning titled "A Twitter timeline before and after the chaos". It was printed in the Wednesday July 18th issue of The Star.

Needless to say I am shocked, embarrassed and appalled, with very little emphasis on the shock part, and a lot of emphasis on the latter two. I want to first state how sorry I am for all the families that now have to deal with the tragedy of this horrific event, and I am extremely saddened by the loss of any life, especially two innocent bystanders. But this is where my sympathy ends!

Enough is enough! How is it possible that we can just turn a blind eye and accept that this incident took place because of a bad neighbourhood, or lower incomes, or any other of the usual suspects! Let's start calling a spade a spade! Parents and other members of this community, I hold you personally responsible for the deaths of those two kids, and for the rest of the people who were injured!

If you expect me to believe for one second that the parents of some of these kids that belong to "Galloway Boys" or "Danzig Boys" are completely unaware of what their kids are up to, I say bullshit! Let's hold the people accountable that should be held accountable. It's not the government and how little support they offer, it's not the schools and educators, it's the parents! Parents who may have grown up at-risk or worse themselves, and then they have kids of their own and they forget to raise them. How is the rest of the community not up in arms about this same thing? Stop looking for someone to blame, and if you live in that area and you turn a blind eye to what goes on, you are as responsible as the shooter.

If you don't know that your son or daughter belongs to a gang, carries a weapon, sells or does drugs, then guess what, you aren't parents, and you don't DESERVE children. That's right, I said DESERVE!!! Children are a gift and they should be viewed and treated as such. In case you are unsure just how much of a gift they are, go talk to someone who can't have any! If you don't want to be a parent, or you believe it's too much for you, trust me there is someone waiting that will give that child everything they need. I am tired of kids being screwed up and abandoned by their families and then they are the ones left to deal with the consequences and live with the aftermath if they do make it to adulthood.

The day after the shootings, on AM 1010, a 15 year old from the neighbourhood, who actually knew the young girl who was killed, when asked how he feels about the shooting that took place, his response was "I'm over it!"

Really, I'm over it? A 15 year old kid, less than 24 hours later says he's over it? That is the most telling part of the problem. Do we really think more money or more programs are going to change that kids views? Not a chance. Those types of things come from early stages of development and they fall solely on the shoulders of the parents. If a 15 year old doesn't relate to the tragedy of a fatal shooting, especially in their own neighbourhood and someone they knew, that's because they have been programmed not to!

My organization and I are working very hard at getting into the community and having an event to bring back some positivity and to fund raise. But more than anything I want to address the community and plea for them to stand up and say that enough is enough. I will no longer ignore the kid in the neighbourhood who I know is falling through cracks, I will no longer not alert someone when I lose control of my own child, I will no longer be a victim of fear, and I will no longer allow others to dictate how I live.

For those of you who don't know me or what I do, I am a writer who has dedicated his life to working with At-risk and homeless youth all over the G.T.A. and I have started "The Josh Project" which is specifically created to help all youth become successful adults. To find out more, please visit www.joshuastern.ca and you can click on "The Josh Project" and "Marion's Place" headings to see more about what we hope to accomplish!

4 comments:

  1. once again, you nailed it ........ almost. i am never in favor of assigning 100% responsibility, culpability, credit to any one element, in this case, parenting. but anyone who thinks that parenting is not what makes this clock tick tock tick tock does not know how to tell time or count down from 10 to zero, waiting for the explosion to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was listing to you on CKNW and just wanted to say i agree with you. Responsibility from all of us would be a great place to start. How do we get people to take full responsibility for their communities, cities, world?
    We lead the way! And it's great to hear and see someone like you doing just that! I would have to guess you live an extraordinary and very fulfilling life? Fear is the culprit once we give that up life can get pretty amazing! I look forward to reading your book! Thank You for being so brave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Iggster
    I appreciate you taking the time, and I agree with you too. I hope I didn't come off sounding too "black or white" with my comments, I was just trying to be clear with where I thought the bulk of the responsibility fell. Very witty with your final sentence, I liked it a lot.

    Thanks again

    Joshua

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bandogg, I'm always glad when someone agrees with me on anything pretty much ;)

    I couldn't agree with you more, and that was what I was hoping to get across today but we ran short of time. Fear is definitely the culprit and if we allow it to consume us we don't have a chance. It's the point I was trying to make about the bombings in the Middle East. By cleaning up and resuming a "business as usual" mentality, they are sending a strong message. We will not alter our way of life because we live in fear. It's not that extreme here in North America, but many members of our society have altered their lives over time and many of them are consumed by fear and paranoia.

    We must take our communities back, one way or another we can all do something.

    Thanks again

    If you could, please join as a follower!

    ReplyDelete