Sunday, July 29, 2012

What's the Solution?

The number one thing we all seem to be searching for when it comes to the shootings, gang violence, and in general, what is happening to our youth, is "What's the solution"? Before I even try to tackle that one I'd like to focus for a moment on some things that are NOT the solution.

1. Our government - The government is not here to raise your children, nor are they here to make it easier for you to raise your children, maybe a simple definition of what government is and what they are responsible for would be a better start? I'm sorry but it was not the government who made you have children, it was you. As opposed to blaming the government, or anyone else for that matter, let's take the time and energy that it takes to complain and blame and let's turn it into some positive actions.

2. The Guns - I will start by using my favourite quote when it comes to this one, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people!" I am not a gun owner, and I don't believe I need one, but at the same time, I do strongly believe that a gun cannot load itself, jump into someones hand, and fire on it's own. We need to stop kidding ourselves into believing it's the guns. Look how many people are killed each year by an automobile, significantly more than by a gun, yet nobody seeks a ban on cars. I know it sounds stupid, but come on people, let's be real. Banning guns will never stop the use, or sale of illegal guns, and those are the guns that are being used in these crimes anyways. It is not the legal gun owners.

3. The Courts and Justice System - While tougher sentencing is definitely appropriate in many cases, we must not lose sight of the kids who are committing crimes and the first time offenders. There have to be more ways to rehabilitate and more programs that encourage and support these kids and first time offenders. If they become repeat offenders, then we can "throw the book" at them.

The solution to me is more programming, more community support through organizations and volunteers (Yes I said it, Volunteers), and we need to incorporate new programs into the school curriculum. We need to start assisting these children who are not getting what they need at home as early as possible. If we start at the kindergarten level and don't stop throughout high school, than these children have a far better chance of avoiding becoming at-risk. If we had more "holding tanks" for our youth such as the Marion's Place project we are working on, than kids would be engaged in activity, positively supported, and most importantly supervised when parents or caregivers are not able.

As I took part in The Roy Green Show again this weekend I was part of a panel that were talking about gun violence and the youth, and what we can do to solve the problem. I thought everyone on the panel made really great points but I was saddened by the closing comments. When asked if there would be change or if things were going to continue/get worse, mostly everyone agreed they'd continue/get worse, but they also commented how they didn't think anything would change and people would just keep talking. That's when I said how I believe regardless of what the person next to me is doing or saying, I am fully capable of initiating change and making a difference. Guess what, so are all of you. Let's stop talking about what needs to be done and let's actually start doing more.

To find out more please visit www.joshuastern.ca and as always I appreciate your comments, feedback, and support.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you that it isn't the guns that kill people, but that it is people killing people. Illegal sale of guns will increase if guns are banned and it won't prevent the killings at all.

    It is most definitely the parent whom is responsible for raising their children. Children aren't a tool or prop that will grow on their own. My theory is this... You can plant a sapling, but that sapling needs constant care and nurturing. If left alone to grow on it's own, it stands the chance of not growing straight and diverts. It's difficult to redirect that tree or straighten it when it becomes an adult. So start guiding it early.

    A great blog post Josh! I have been a youth advocate for years, running programs and such. You hit the nail on the head with education and more people stepping up to the plate with volunteering. A person cannot complain if they aren't willing to step up to the plate and volunteer with proper preventative measures! :-)

    Renee

    ReplyDelete